My hair is naturally pin straight and thick, and the second there’s moisture in the air it falls completely flat. And I mean completely flat. No frizz like most people, just heavy-flat like a wet towel… Unfortunately living in New York, there’s frequently some moisture in the air throughout the year and, often, in long stretches. So my struggle has been to find a way to quickly and easily style it on my own for those days when I want or need it to hold up.
On a beautiful day with no humidity, I have no problem with styling my hair into a blown out, voluminous look that looks like I just walked out of a salon (not my words…) without styling products(creams, gels, etc.) and not much effort. In fact, it’s quite easy and fast. I use 6-8 velvet-flocked 1.25″ hot rollers (they’re almost extinct right?) on my dry, non-brushed hair, leave them in for no more than a few minutes (you’ll have to test this out depending on how your hair holds curl), shake my hair out a bit after the rollers are out, and voilà: full, naturally tousled hair…until it rains, snows or is just humid!
I recently bought a curling iron which I have avoided my entire adult life since I thought it would be too difficult to use. To be honest, I didn’t think that I had the patience for it, but now that I have it I love it. The direct heat for extra control combined with an ability to target specific sections of my hair in different ways has completely transformed my hair styling options. The bonus, it’s much easier than I thought.
My new simple hair styling routine for the days that I need it to last:
- Use the hot rollers as described above. I love them ‘velvet-flocked’, because they are more gentle to my hair.
- Add a small amount of heat protectant oil from the middle to the ends of hair.
- Hold the T3 curling iron (1.25″ barrel) vertically and curl away from face for front sections. For back, it helps to randomly curl in different directions to give hair more movement and keep it natural looking.
- Flip head and add a small amount of TRESemmé Root Lifting Cream to hair roots, especially where you need it most. I find this cream to be great for holding volume at the roots without using a hairspray which can make the hair feel stiff. I received this amazing product courtesy of TRESemmé team during NYFW last Fall and it is now a part of my hair styling essentials kit.
- Flip head back, shape hair a little with your fingers if needed, and… you’re done! This all takes me approximately 10-15 mins.
I researched many curling irons before I decided to purchase the T3. Particularly love this one for its interchangeable barrel, great quality, auto world voltage, 360º swivel cord, automatic shut-off, and it also didn’t hurt that I love the way it looks…
From my Instagram feed (are you following me yet?) after I styled it:
Shop the Post:
Nataliya OgleMay 30, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Oohh the interchangeable barrel option is neat! I have an old curling iron that's 1" but I really want to get one that's bigger. Your hair looks fabulous!
Style Tomes ||ST on IG
josephinacollectionJune 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm
Thank you, Nataliya! The interchangeable option is a game changer, esp when you like having options! Also great for traveling. Have a great weekend!
Maria AbadJune 2, 2016 at 3:35 am
I need to try this curling iron, I've had so many and I just saw another blogger that has amazing her just like you uses this one too.
MariaOnPoint http://mariaonpoint.com/ | Find me on IG https://www.instagram.com/mariajabad/
josephinacollectionJune 3, 2016 at 4:17 pm
Thanks Maria! I'd love to hear your thoughts if you try it. Have a great weekend!
Alicia MackinJune 8, 2016 at 10:33 pm
Well you do a REALLY good job because your hair always looks super full of body and bouncy.
josephinacollectionJune 13, 2016 at 2:30 am
Thank you, Allie!!
KandjaJune 14, 2016 at 10:33 am
Good job on your hair. Its bouncy and has body. It doesn't even look dry. I admire you for taking time to research about a product before buying it. That's why I trust this review! xx